Monday, June 6, 2011

The Sports Meet

I was invited to the GOC Sports Meet for special schools organized by God's Own Children Foundation itself. It was held on Manipay Hindu College grounds for poor schools from Moolay, Sithangeni, Araali, Ariyaali, and Point Pedro. These are schools that provide free education for children who are from very poor background.The field was filled with litte kids running around in their sports attire, with parents supporting them from the benches. The guests had arrived, lit the candles as ritual for ceremonies in the hindu culture which signifies the start of something new and happy. Prayers were sung, the flags flew high and the games had begun.

There were many games. Games I wished I had in my school days because there were really fun just watching and hosting them. It started off with short distance running and relay which are the usual games, but later on I wasn't expecting very interesting games. Kids had to run to a table, put on their uniform, and shoes and carry their bags to run to their finishing line. Guess the name of the game! Getting ready for school of course! LOl. Kids got to eat chocolate biscuits,gulp down a soda and run to the finishing line.This was a competition. The competition of who eats and drinks the fastest. Don't you wish you played that in your schools days. It will be like having a good snack right under the hot sun! Lol. I was getting hungry though. Oh and the staff were well taken care off by being served trolls and soda too.Back to the games, there were many games with several other obstacle course like, coloring a picture, matching pictures with names, identifying colors and numbers and filling up bottles with water. All were done right on the fields with the staff rushing around madly. It was crazy but fun. One thing I noticed about the staff was that they were extremely patient with the kids. The kids would be crying and making a fuss about different things, the kids will be running all over the place when the whistle blows but all they do is to laugh it off because it was really really hilarious. I was thinking, back in Singapore it wouldn't have been so relaxed. If something were to get screwed up I think tension would rise in the air. Over here, I feel like although they are really tensed up they will never show it on the kids instead I think truly their anger and frustration goes away on seeing what crazy things the kids do. I had a sore mouth and stomach by the end of the day from smiling and laughing. I was REALLY HAPPY to have gotten the chance to be doing what I did. They also had "DRILLS" which is where, in teams, the school children will be dressed up and they would be doing physical movements in co-ordination with the music they got to choose. It was really creative. It is similar to "Cheers" in other countries I suppose. It was cute to see kids dressed up in hats, polka dots,and doing all kinds of physical movements. As much as the kids had enjoyed I think we staff had a good time watching them show off their talents and skills.The finale included, elephant walking for both parents and staff which included many people in it.I think it was hilarious how the woman became so hilarious. Lol.Well anyways, it had a good ending of prize presentation and token of appreciation. I really was happy with the experience I had gotten.It also really inspired me to help organize the sports meet coming up for Puloly next week. Hope it will be as good as this or even better since we are all striving for the better. My aims are to make the children feel like they have equal opportunities as everyone out there and make them explore their talents and interests. I want the best for the kids as that is what they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment