Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 21 was not in Puloly, but in Jaffna

I woke up at 5am as usual, but this time I left at 5.30am. We were en route to the sports meet for disadvantaged children near Nallur. So we picked up Ms Jecintha on the way, where her brother's wife had prepared for me Milk Appa, my favourites in Sri Lanka.For the first time, I had three appams in my life. LOL. I really really loved it. I wished I had eaten more.

Anyways, you would have seen how the sports meet was from the previous post. I spoke to a few officials during the meet.They were all in big positions dealing with and helping such kids. I got some contacts and am hoping that they will become very useful in the future for me. I am actually surprised, that people here are educated. I thought they wouldn't be studying due to the war time, but realized they had to study even in the camps with really bad environment to study in. Education has been made compulsory here just like in Singapore. Which I am really glad about. 97% people here are educated but the problem is the quality of education and having to speak the English Language.Education is their only livelihood for all the kids here. I hope they get the freedom though it really.

After the sports meet, we were off to Casuarina beach. The ride was beautiful and windy...For the first time, I could actually see the horizon instead of boats like how it is Singapore. It was infinity and beyond kids of feeling. Ms Jecintha bought for us Nongu and Ice Cream.But it didnt't end there. Only later on I knew it. We went past the fort on the way back from the beach. The Fort was built by the Dutch before Sri Lanka gained Independance in 1948. It was used to keep prisoners then. SO of course they had the place where they would hang people and the fort was surrounded by a river which they said believed to have crocodiles. It served as a boundary for prisoners from escaping. During the 3 decade civil war, the government used it as a "safeguard" place for Hindus, more like a torture chamber actually. Now they are rebuilding it to make it look like how it was. I am not so keen in that idea other than the intention to preserve history. Well, I am just hoping it is left as a visitor's spot rather than being used again.




Just opposite was the famous Jaffna Public Library. It looked really classy and one can totally figure out that it is old because of its structure. But I loved the feeling of being in a place which was so old. Old is Gold like what they said. No phototaking and no slippers allowed. They treated it like a temple I felt. In 1981, the library was bombed in the intention to prevent Tamils from studying and being educated. It destroyed many many books. But they weren't just books, they were culture, they were history, they were religions, and they were memories. From 97000 books, they are only 2000 left due to the bomb blast. I walked along the hallway to see pictures of how it was after the attacks. For some people, it could be just a library, but I think this one really meant a lot the Hindus. Like what Ms Jecintha's relatives in Colombo had mentioned, their poetry and literature have all been burnt only destroying their roots and belonging.I couldn't take my eyes off the Library. It just gave me a weird feeling.




Anyways, next up was the children's playground, the one we had to pay to enter. It is similar to Botanical Gardens kind of concept, only difference was that this was entirely for kids with playground. We joined in with the rest of Ms Jecintha's Family members. It was really nice just sitting down and talking. It gave me the homely feeling. I missed home. I never really had this chance with my own family members. They were really welcoming. Spoke a lot about Singapore and studies, and took photos. They kept asking when I will be back and stuff and that if I will even come back. The topic continued when we went to Rio's Ice Cream Parlour. The biggest parlour I have seen. They treated me to Roll and the Sunday Special which was DELICIOUS. For the first time I had two scoops all by myself.




Ms Jecintha told me she will be looking for a husband here for me so that I can settle down in Singapore. I told her, I am thinking of getting the kids out of here, then what am I supposed to be doing in Sri Lanka.Haha. I want to try my best. I want them to get out and see the world. I want them to experience their rights of living a life they want. I want them to walk along the streets at night and not be afraid of the army or the police or anyone else. I want them to stop talking about the war and how they are affected. Instead I want them to talk about what project they have yet to do at work, or how they want to replace their old car, or what they are planning for their house renovation.I want them to live a life, not fight for one.

Everyone keeps saying that they want to help when they get rich, but they don't realize that they can forget. Real help is giving away when you have little. When you have too much, I would say, that is a duty not a help. I urge people to help in their small little ways, because it makes a huge difference in the long-run.

No comments:

Post a Comment