Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 11 in Puloly

It is getting busy around here and I like it because I feel like I am making full use of my time here. Today was the start of talking about our upcoming Sports meet at Puloly Children's Home together with Achchuveli Home which will be taking place shortly within the next two weeks.I am really excited by it because I feel that this is my chance to show the kids how much I appreciate them. I want to make them feel special and give them what they deserve-fun and much recognition.We discussed certain games and shows we can put up to give the children something different to feel from their everyday life and hardships that they have gone through. Some people were not really up for the ideas and I was kind of disappointed because if one wants to do such things for the happiness of others, laziness cannot creep in. All I was thinking about is what will make the children happy and feel like all other kids out there.I went on with my own approval because like I said, you want to do something, give it your best shot. Arrangements are being done so you will surely hear more from me about it.

I didn't really take class today. I instead, made the children write about themselves so that I have a chance to get to know them more. Thankfully the older kids could write themselves whereas I had to sit and talk individually to the 'kuttis'(youngest kids). The problem is not about writing for me but it was about having to hear to their stories which kept breaking my heart. Just imagine a bunch of seven year old boys surrounding you and telling you whose mother or father is dead and how they died. Well, I had to sit through that and it is difficult to not cry in front of the kids. I held back of course. I have yet to read the essays that my other darlings having written about themselves. Well I am just going to do it when I am ready because i roughly know what to expect now.

Earlier today, I saw one of the person's injury on the shoulder. One of his shoulder ball is missing. It wasn't a pleasant sight but what was worse is to hear the story behind it where he was running and a bomb had whizzed past his shoulder causing him that injury during the last attacks.Can you imagine what these people have actually gone through? They had dodged through bombs, they had walked miles to seek refuge, and they have seen people die right in front of their eyes. Some kids, don't know when their birthdays are, some don't know where their siblings are while some have only heard the news that their parents had died while captured in cell. It's depressing. It's heartbreaking. These are real people, carrying so much pain and hurt in their souls yet I have never seen nicer people then them.It is true every word I say.

They will send someone with food while I am working without fail. They will keep buying and replacing the finished bottled water in the fridge for me. They will hold my hands and say good night. They will pinch my cheeks until it turns red. They will offer me food they had bought for someone else for me to try. They are always doing something for me without realizing how much it means to me. They all keep asking me isn't it difficult to stay away from home.I feel like telling them now that it isn't difficult, because I am surrounded by amazing people everywhere I turn to more than even when I am back in Singapore.I am probably one of the happiest people on Earth right now!

No comments:

Post a Comment