Friday, June 10, 2011

Day 19 in Puloly

I went to meet Sir today after he got discharged from the hospital. He was really ill yet he was talking so much. I was upset to know that he wouldn’t be able to attend the upcoming Sports Carnival. The kids are expecting to see their “father”. But as of now, his health is more important than anything. It is not just about him but it is about the hundred and hundreds of souls that are living off him which he need to think about.

He saw the Atchchuveli blog, he called me in to congratulate me on it which was not my aim, but he started to tear and say this will open up many eyes to see the kids who need help. He said, I will be getting more donors hopefully, all he wants now is that. At that moment, I felt, he is carrying so much burden in his eyes, heart and soul. He is constantly thinking about his children. He patted me and said, we shouldn’t worry. We will be doing more for these kids and that after I leave we will be keeping in touch still. He takes care of me really well. He takes care of me like I’m his own daughter. Even if I am staying with relatives for a month, I really doubt I will be looked after so well by the him and his staff here. I really want to do something to relieve his burden. Even if he is sitting down somewhere he is thinking and thinking. He doesn’t stop. He calls at odd times at night to ask what food are they cooking for the kids, what do the kids want and many more things. He and Ms Jecintha are really amazing people and I really hope people will come forward to help them help the kids. I am crying while I am even writing this because it is painful. I don’t know what to do.

Sir wanted me to meet a few girls. These girls were in Puloly Children’s Village (POC), but they were dragged away by the government officials like what I had said before. These girls got admitted in hospital first as they had fainted and were transferred to different homes before they contacted Sir again to tell that they wanted to study. GOC struggled so much to put them in another hostel and is funding for their stay in hostel and education for these brilliant students. When I walked into the compound with Ms Nanthini who used to be their warden, they screamed and ran to her, hugging her and kissing her. They started crying a while before they settled down. They were SO DAMN HAPPY to see her. Ms Nanthini started crying saying these kids were the first ones who were at home going through so much of problems.


During the interview, a few of them cried and I couldn’t because I was too shocked to hear to the things that they were going through. Can you believe this is the 21st century, and people are in camps right now, trying to sleep in tents and eat food that is rationed out? Can you believe that I came back “home” after seeing a refugee? Can you believe anything I say? You have to. All of them are younger than me. They have seen death. They have starved for days. They have gone without bathing for weeks. They never stepped out of a boundary line for one entire year. I can never stay in my own house for one single day, just IMAGINE what kind of mental and physical torture these girls have gone through. I am more angry than I am more sad. Although these girls may not be in camp anymore, their families still are. Can someone tell me why there are rich men? Why there is such thing as Human Rights? Why is there United Nations? Can someone tell me, how this is going to end? I am frustrated and devastated on seeing these kids. I want to put them in a cage, carry them out and set them free…I don’t know what else to say, these kids are in hostel now. Away from war, in a ‘happy home’, and now they are in hostel, with no proper food or water. What is happening? How will you feel if you are at the gate, and the girls are standing behind the gate saying, “please bring us with you”. For anyone who sees that, your heart will ache. Just look into the eyes for a while….just look, just look and you will feel it. Pain. And more of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment