Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 9 in Puloly

I rode on a bike!!!!!! hehehehe....I didn't ride it but I just rode on it yet. Well I will get there soon. Anyways, let me tell you the story of how I got the chance of doing that. We went to Nallur, where God's Own Children headquarters is. I would have mentioned it before as that was the first place I came to in Jaffna after arriving at Colombo. I went there on a long long bur journey about an hour or more. But it was a really good ride. I like seeing how the real Jaffna looked like. I enjoyed watching school kids riding together on bicycles, farmers toiling under the hot sun and how the cows did their nice cow dunks along the road side of course. LOL. Anyways, it was just beautiful and i have no idea how to explain it until one comes and experiences for himself.During mu bus ride I also saw something very unique and interesting. A school girl boarded the bus and she had to be standing because there was no space. There was a lady who was sitting opposite her and she offered to help keep the girl's bag on her lap until she got off. The girl took the offer. The rest of the way I didn't see them talking at all. The lady took full responsibility over the bag and the girl looked very comfortable. It was nice to see it because there is this sense of closeness I see amongst them. It's like they care for one another and they have so much trust...I guess the world has to work that way if they want to survive.Well I see very little of such things in Singapore with almost everyone caught up with their own little worlds.Urgh.

Anyways, at the headquarters the first question I was asked was if I had eaten yet and that if I wanted to eat. It was really interesting because I think it is the Sri Lankan habit to make sure everyone has eaten and no one gets left behind. Back at the'home', the staff make sure I eat. Every single person will be so concerned if I don't eat and they will buy for me food items I like thinking that I don't like the food. They are totally wrong it's just I have a small appetite. The staff are amazing because they really care for me like I am one of their own girls here. I guess that's why it is easy for me to stay here because no one gets left behind.

So what they made me do this time was to feed me ice cream which is my favourite dessert at Rio Ice Cream Parlour. And of course I got there by riding on a bike.YEY. It was short but sweet. I was satisfied.I have never seen such a big cafe before just for ice creams. Seriously. They make their own ice creams and there are loads of varieties. It was really nice. I enjoyed eating Strawberry Ice Cream, for the first time. LOL. Then, hahaha, Dr.B.Anankumar Sir called Ms.Nanthini and tolde her to this place called MAlayan Cafe. It is funny because, he was all the way in Colombo. He called to tell us where to go eat for lunch in Nallur, Jaffna. I thought to myself, man he is thinking about food all the time!!! lol. He is probably going to kill me seeing this post but it is apparently quite normal to put food before anything for Sri Lankans. Which should be the way, as they make awesome spicy and tasty food. Earlier on my phone I was looking at pictures of food back in Singapore and I was practically drooling because I got reminded of my favouite spots like, Marche,Cafe Iguana and NYDC!But I later realized, I am probably going to miss the food here once I am gone. Haiz...Part of Life!

I got back to reality, after a long ride back to 'home'. I was happy with my oldest group.They were really goos today. They were attentive, they had revised and they were fun. I really enjoyed them. Group 2 was pretty much there but still a bit slow and playful but I guess that is how they are naturally. The youngest kids class...hmmm....still not there yet. They beg me to teach them because they want to learn so badly but it is difficult when they don't do the homework. Then I taught about how primary school was for me and I so thanked god to have made me sit through all the homework because it did actually work and probably homework is one of the crucial parts of school. So people, don't dread it because it makes you smarter even you without realizing. NOT A JOKE!To top it all off, Dhurshanthan, our soul driver thought me how to ride the auto and made me practice driving all the way to the kitchen and back! I thought I was going to kill someone but thankfully there was the break! Haha. I just spilled a little bit of curry here and there. Hehe.

Oh just in case you have seen the kitchen yet, well it is below. Pretty soon I will be cooking there! hahahah...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Vasanthi,
    Not sure if we ever got introduced. My name is Shangar and I have been working with GOCF and PCV for quite a while from Canada.
    First of all thank you for your courage and dedication to help out the disadvantaged children. Apart from the education you can provide, I am sure your presence and love for the children is more valuable and not measurable. Please do care of them and show them that we care, that they are not alone.
    Thank you for your daily blog post and I do look forward for it every day, and the few photos helps us visualize what goes on in PCV. Please do keep it up.
    Thanks You
    S.Shangar

    ReplyDelete