Saturday, May 28, 2011

Day 6 in Puloly

I went on a beautiful ride to Kodikamam, where they go to the market to buy groceries at a cheaper cost. It is 45 min from where we are going through a road passing vayals (plantations), cows, goats, temples and even army camps. It was really peaceful. I thought to myself this is exactly what I needed. On the way back, I had "kuchi" ice cream which is a special ice cream made on stick using frozen syrup. I think many of us would be able to recall our childhood memories. Well, that's how it was for me. I really loved it.It was simple, sweet and definitely made a mess. Haha. But that's the fun part of eating ice cream yeah.

We got back soon after for the children's special program where I can do anything with them other then teaching English. So I decided to let them make bookmarks. I gave them some motivational quotes for them to choose and write on their bookmarks which they eventually decorated and signed off.At the end I told them, this only means they have to start reading books. LOL.

This part here I hated doing! Counselling. I had to do some mini counselling sessions to collect factual data for the 'home'. the first boy told me how he had lost his leg in a bomb blast in the last attach. The second boy told me how his siblings have been capture by the LTTE and two yet to be released. Another boy told me how his parents were killed in cell and finally the last one told me how his parents are living in a makeshift camp today because their hometown is being re-built. What do you want me to say to these kids. After the first one onwards I was trying to hold back my tears and I couldn't write whatever they were telling me to write either. I was heartbroken. Thankfully, Ms.Nanthini called me back for some other reason. I quickly left and walked back to the girl's home crying. I just couldn't hold them back. These kids have gone through so much at such a young age. They saw people getting exploded right in front of their eyes and they parted from their family not knowing if they would be able to even see their faces before they die. It's not the Nazi War or the Japanese occupation. It is happening right now, right here in Sri Lanka, right here where the world has moved on forgetting and leaving behind others who really need some of the love they had lost.

To have a break both for me and the boys, I was looking forward to games session but I didn't have much time. I let the boys play street soccer which is the simplified version of soccer as you would know it. I would have loved to join and played with them but I just didnt't feel too comfortable yet I suppose. Apparently, they have been telling Ms. Nanthini that they do like the English lessons and that they are useful. I was comforted by it because I am still doubting my ability in teaching and my ability in teaching English especially. LOL. I was looking at the boys and I really thought to myself god bless these innocent kids. I really really pray to God that they grow up to be the doctor, lawyer or engineer they want to be. I guess I see the importance in English for them.I hope I can give them what they need over the time that I will be here.

No comments:

Post a Comment