Thursday, May 26, 2011

Day 1 in Puloly

I woke up with a swollen eye and many bumps on my hands probably because it was blood fresh from Singapore. hehe.

At 5am, the children have light physical training so I went to peep in to see how it usually goes when i got distracted by a girl's wailing. She was crying so loudly in ear pain calling out for her mum.The staff rushed her to the hospital and I got to know these things are very common there. I was thinking in my head, if it was to happen to me in Singapore, me being the kid of the house everyone would have woken up to attend to me. But these kids have no one but the home. That's all there is to it.

Later in the morning, two girls had some insect bite on their feet and they were literally limping around because it left a deep wound. Yet, they just put a bandage around their feet, put on the shoes that they washed themselves and were joyfully walking to school. Singapore kids probably would have taken this chance to take the day off from school. hahaha. I am just trying to say that these kids really have the thirst for knowledge. They need it.They want it. It's amazing to see that.

The kids went off and I had the day to do my own things until afternoon English lessons with the children, I had more tasks to do as I was talking Ms. Nanthini. Apart from teaching English to both the staff and children, I have yet to increase communication and co-operation amongst the staff about taking care of the children.
She needed some help with managing them hence I gave some suggestions that have yet to be implemented soon. Hopefully they will work out for people in Jaffna.

Anyways, classes had begun on my first day. Three groups with about 25 students each. I almost got a heart attack on seeing the size. Just kidding. I thought it was a really big group to handle knowing I had no experience in teaching at all.
Well, It was tiring for sure but more than that it was really difficult because in each classes, the students' ability in learning is different and they are all in different grades too. I am going to try and make it work for both them and myself by taking it as a challenge instead of a difficulty.

No comments:

Post a Comment