Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 2 in Puloly

The children had a day off from school due to special festival taking place where people would go out and carry kavadis on their shoulders. So classes started earlier and I had the liberty to separate the three groups into smaller groups to get to know their ability better and to teach them in a manner that they would be able to understand. it was a huge task because classes were longer hence I was exhausted. At the same time I felt satisfied that I had done my best to make them understand me.

The kids still do not have the habit of asking questions because what happens in their one hour English lesson in school is that the teacher just talks as much as she wants without any explanation. The teacher doesn't even realize that they don't understand when she says "sit down" or even "shut up" for that matter. That's the whole problem. The teachers don't see what the students need. I on the other hand feel that I do not have time to get to know them individually in terms of their studying capability but instead I try and ask them do they understand every single time I say something new. There well always be the goats' eyes staring at me, in blur, which clearly means they have no clue. It only means one thing. That is it is in my hands to make them understand. It isn't their fault that they do not know so much but if they are taught by someone now, of course I do expect them to know it as soon as possible.

At night, after resting a little, I went out to just check on the kids during their studying time and I was amazed. Some students would be cramping up on some tables to do their work while others took their own chair and sat under whatever dim light they could find even a lamppost. Then they would recite page after page to memorize their topic. Halfway through the reading the page aloud there will be a silence to find that ant that had bitten their bare feet and then continue where they had stopped. I can only think about Singaporean kids, where they would be complaining if the light is a color that they don't like it to be or the table is rocking back and forth. Here, it seems like whatever the situation is they will be studying hard. It is heartwarming to see how these kids put education before anything even their own families. Hats off to Puloly kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment