Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 4 in Puloly

I was able to get out a bit for some kind of sight-seeing. Ms.Nanthini sneaked me out to the fish market to take a look at the local market there. It was pretty interesting how fishermen bring their catch in huge sacks and just spill them out plastic sheets in any spot of the hall that they could find and start calling out for customers. These are what you call businessman too you know.

I also had a taste of the local mangoes which were really amazing although they are really half the size of mangoes you see in Singapore. Actually coming to think about it, everything here in Jaffna is small, from potatoes to tomatoes to carrots...everything is what they call in their natural size. In Singapore, all the imported items are huge because of the amount of "nutrients" farmers give to the seeds to make them fat and juicy. They are also the cost of many health problems today too!

Talking about vegetables, the vege market looked really scrmptuos because of its colors. Although it was set under a small tent enough for about 6 businessman, it looked neatly messed up and 'bright and cheerful' as they saying would go.hehe By the way that's my own saying.

I got back and there was no electricity. And the sun didn't do us any good by greeting us constantly in the afternoon. During this time where I didn't want to use up energy by moving around I stationed myself in one corner hoping that I won't sweat anymore. The lovely staff gathered around me and we had a nice chat throughout the black out (day out propably!) which lasted for three hours. It really does help that the people here are so homely, welcoming and comforting. Being homesick ever since I stepped foot on Sri Lanka, these lovely souls are really are helping me to make me feel at home. I like the feeling. They are easy to talk to and they are really concerned about my diet! hahaha...What do I like to eat is their favorite question? They keep buying me food I like and just put in the fridge so that I will eat. Food is not the problem but my appetite is. haha.

Anyways, classes started short after. I wasn't feeling too well by then so classes were a bit slow but I got better by the end. I had a tough time teaching but it was a bit helpful when I knew some of the kids had revised and could somewhat answer my questions. Better still, they even asked me questions which I was delighted about it because it meant that they were thinking and they wanted to know about something. I really want to tap on their shoulder and say they are helping me to help them.

The younger kids' classes are getting a little tougher on the other hand. I am not sure is it because they are getting to know me more that they become more playful in class or is it just that they are being kids all the time. I have yet to master some skills to make them shut up probably.hehe. Well as in make them talk when they are supposed to and keep them quiet when I need them to do it. Hope I don't sound too harsh. haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment